The Southern California PGA has announced its 2010 section award winners, and a variety of deserving men and women from around the Southland have been recognized.
Ed Winiecki has almost 30 years of golf administration experience (PHOTO: Eddie Meeks).
Ed Winiecki, a PGA professional at the Country Club at Soboba Springs in San Jacinto and tournament director of the Nationwide Tour's Soboba Golf Classic, is the Professional of the Year. This is the fourth section honor for Winiecki, who has almost 30 years of golf administration experience and previously earned the 2008 Bill Strausbaugh Award, the 2006 Horton Smith Award and the 2004 Assistant Professional of the Year honor.
"This is a very humbling experience and the highlight of my career," said Winiecki.
Other 2010 section award winners are:
• Teacher of the Year: Randy Chang of Talega Golf Club in San Clemente. (Instruction from Chang: How to hit hybrids.)
• Horton Smith Award (outstanding and continuing contributions to professional education): Scott Wilson of Vellano Country Club in Chino Hills. (Wilson's Instruction Profile.)
• Bill Strausbaugh Award (working with fellow PGA professionals to improve their employment situations, community service): Greg Prudham of PGA Magazine.
• Clubfitter of the Year: Erik Horve of Tustin Ranch Golf Club. (Horve's Instruction Profile.)
• Assistant Professional of the Year: Shay Blechynden of The Bridges at Rancho Santa Fe
• Junior Golf Leader: Holly Kennedy of Sycuan Resort in San Diego. (Kennedy's Instruction Profile.)
• Merchandiser of the Year (Public): Susan Roll of Carlsbad Golf Center.
• Merchandiser of the Year (Private): Patrick Casey of Brentwood Country Club in Los Angeles.
• Merchandiser of the Year (Resort): Nick Enders of Marriott Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert.
• Honorary Life Member: John Hardy.
All honorees will be recognized at the President's Dinner on December 5 at Mission Hills Country Club in Rancho Mirage.
2008 Southern California PGA award winners